The Center for Government Excellence (GovEx) at Johns Hopkins University is hiring a Researcher to add to the Analytics team. This is a full-time position which will primarily support building analysis for the Bloomberg City Analytics Initiative, and in the longer-term focus on city government analysis on outcomes and policies, with additional possible work on other areas of city government interest.
The core responsibilities for this role include discovering, exploring, and validating data to power visualizations and answer policy-related questions, particularly those which are crucially needed by local governments. Our selected candidate will work within the Center for Government Excellence and cross-organizationally with groups at the Bloomberg Center for Public Innovation to support the creation of quantitative analyses, comprehensible data visualizations, key findings, and insights for the public sector.
This position reports to the Director of GovEx Analytics
GovEx is committed to working with communities that are focused on ending legacies of structural, entrenched racism and oppression. The Research Specialist must be willing to think about reimagined government, knowledge, and engagement models through the lens of dismantling these legacies.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Prepare research plans and designs, including methodologies for quantitative research.
- Conduct analysis for research projects using the appropriate methodology.
- Collect, clean, and analyze data from governments, national surveys, longitudinal studies, etc.
- Research and explore new sources of data, and audit and evaluate the data quality, completeness, and suitability for use on our projects.
- Prepare, disseminate, analyze qualitative data collection instruments.
- Conduct literature reviews from appropriate sources.
- Summarize project results and insights.
- Present findings to teams from across Johns Hopkins University, as well as and external partners.
- Collaborate with developers, data scientists, researchers, policy experts, and other technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Maintain clear lines of communication with the GovEx Director of Analytics, the Analytics team, and others cross-divisionally and university-wide.
Other Duties as assigned (5%)
- Routine administrative functions as needed.
- Scheduling and document management.
- Participate on working groups to improve processes and practices within the Office of the Associate Vice President for Public Sector Innovation and Data.
Special Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Familiarity with programming languages for data manipulation (e.g., Python, SQL) and analytical software packages (e.g., R, or Stata)
- Familiarity with statistical software packages (e.g., R, SPSS, SAS or Stata)
- Familiarity with public sector data, policies, and stakeholders.
- Fluency in quantitative analytical methods, and experience analyzing complex datasets and extracting insights.
- Ability to identify compromised data and evaluate data quality, and clean it as required.
- Experience applying survey methodology and/or qualitative data collection methodology for policy research or evaluation.
- Experience translating research results into understandable and useful information for policy makers and public sector practitioners, as well as the public.
- Knowledge of statistics, experimental design, and hypothesis testing.
- Excellent research and analytical skills.
- High proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, as well as Google Suite application.
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field.
- 3 years related experience.
- Additional education (master’s level) may substitute for required experience, to the extent permitted by the JHU equivalency formula.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in mathematics, statistics, policy, or a related field.
Classified Title: Research Data Analyst
Working Title: Researcher
Starting Salary Range: $46,560-$64,100-$81,650 Annually (Commensurate with experience)
Employee group: Full Time
Exempt Status: Exempt
Location: Hybrid/Homewood Campus
Department name: Ctrs for Govt Excellence & Public Innova
Personnel area: Academic and Business Centers
The referenced salary range is based on Johns Hopkins University’s good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level. Johns Hopkins offers a total rewards package that supports our employees’ health, life, career and retirement. More information can be found here: https://hr.jhu.edu/benefits-worklife/
Please refer to the job description above to see which forms of equivalency are permitted for this position. If permitted, equivalencies will follow these guidelines:
JHU Equivalency Formula: 30 undergraduate degree credits (semester hours) or 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience. Additional related experience may substitute for required education on the same basis. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college course work may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job.
**Applicants who do not meet the posted requirements but are completing their final academic semester/quarter will be considered eligible for employment and may be asked to provide additional information confirming their academic completion date.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check. Johns Hopkins is committed to hiring individuals with a justice-involved background, consistent with applicable policies and current practice. A prior criminal history does not automatically preclude candidates from employment at Johns Hopkins University. In accordance with applicable law, the university will review, on an individual basis, the date of a candidate’s conviction, the nature of the conviction and how the conviction relates to an essential job-related qualification or function.
The Johns Hopkins University values diversity, equity and inclusion and advances these through our key strategic framework, the JHU Roadmap on Diversity and Inclusion.
Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
EEO is the Law
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the Talent Acquisition Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711. For more information about workplace accommodations or accessibility at Johns Hopkins University, please visit accessibility.jhu.edu.
Johns Hopkins has mandated COVID-19 and influenza vaccines, as applicable. Exceptions to the COVID and flu vaccine requirements may be provided to individuals for religious beliefs or medical reasons. Requests for an exception must be submitted to the JHU vaccination registry. For additional information, applicants for SOM positions should visit https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine/ and all other JHU applicants should visit https://covidinfo.jhu.edu/health-safety/covid-vaccination-information/.
The following additional provisions may apply, depending on campus. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.