Program Manager, Bloomberg Harvard City Leadership Initiative
The Bloomberg Center for Government Excellence at Johns Hopkins University (GovEx) is looking for a Program Manager, Bloomberg Harvard City Leadership Initiative to lead a multi-year program Bloomberg Harvard City Leadership Initiative Data Track, in which GovEx serves as a key partner in the implementation of data management and performance management efforts in numerous local governments. The Program Manager will lead the design and delivery of the program focused on providing direct coaching, technical assistance, and training cities to best manage and utilize data and incorporating into routine processes to make key decisions that improves resident outcomes with measurable impact in a range of priorities, including, but not limited to economic mobility, healthy communities, and operations and infrastructure.
The Program Manager will lead a team of Senior Advisors and will work manage a portfolio of projects, lead strategy, policy, and analytical support to senior advisors to ensure impactful engagements and outcomes within the program. The Program Manager partners with relevant stakeholders and can build relationships at all levels from residents, nonprofit leaders to elected officials. In this role, the Program Manager will serve as a subject-matter-expert in data and performance management practices, work with Senior Advisors to properly scope, develop appropriate project plans, develop a theory-of-change for projects, using data and evidence to select metrics, evaluate disparate impacts and policy interventions that lead to measurable results, and complete reporting requirements. This position reports to the Director of GovEx, working closely and collaborating with internal and external partners and staff responsible for training, technology, knowledge management, communications, and monitoring and evaluation.
The selected candidate must possess a proven track record of success in the public sector, be a subject-matter-expert in foundational data practices and applying practices to establish routine habits within an organization and improve how city leaders use data and evidence to make key decisions that improve resident outcomes. Program Managers must have experience managing service and program delivery efforts. We are seeking a highly skilled visionary with a strong knowledge and background in data and performance management and its application within public sector organizations. In addition to real-world experience working in the public sector with mayors and c-suite leaders, the program manager must be a strong leader with excellent management and communication skills.
The Bloomberg Philanthropies Center for Government Excellence is committed to working with communities that are focused on ending legacies of structural, entrenched racism and oppression. Employees must be willing to think about reimagined government, knowledge, and engagement models through the lens of dismantling these legacies.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
Program Development & Management
- Manage GovExs portfolio of projects, including scoping, developing project plans and technical assistance day-to-day operations, including coordinating with internal staff, holding weekly meetings, and working with external partners.
- Manage multiple executive level learning opportunities with staff, partner organizations, and philanthropic funders in collaboration with the GovEx Director.
- Regularly assess project execution and make effective decisions when presented with multiple options for how to progress.
- Coordinate and implement contracts and grants and develop short-term and long-term strategies and objectives and detail the progress and status of various priorities with partner organizations, funders, and staff.
- Stay current with state-of-the-art developments, best practices, and trends in coaching government officials in leading and/or transforming the culture of data use and management across city governments.
- Partner with the training team to develop curriculum and resources to support workshops, trainings, and courses.
- Facilitate collaborative learning and other peer networking opportunities.
- Identify new opportunities to improve internal processes that allow the successful implementation of GovExs technical assistance and coaching program.
- Provide expert advice and leadership to define and continue enhancement of the program that reflect current best practices.
- Partner with Director of GovEx to align technical assistance delivery to the needs of the program.
- Lead senior advisors and city leaders to develop a theory-of-change for each project, using data and evidence to select metrics, evaluate disparate impacts and policy interventions that lead to measurable results.
- Onboard and provide regular training to staff in best practices and delivery methods.
- Conceptualize, prepare, and monitor technical assistance programs to provide client support and to promote research and dissemination.
- Assess client needs, identify the resource best positioned to meet them, and activate internal subject matter experts or external partners.
- Hire, train, manage, supervise, and coach a team of Senior Advisors to set and achieve strategic goals and support a values-based organization and team culture.
- Develop, recommend, and administer policies, procedures, and processes in support of programmatic operations.
- Assign staff to projects and oversee their successful completion of these efforts.
- Manage employment lifecycle for team members, including development of job descriptions, recruitment and onboarding, and continuous performance management and development to improve team talent, skills, and capacity.
- Support senior advisor technical assistance engagement to government practitioners.
Internal & External Relations
- Build and maintain strong relationships with stakeholders: city leaders, elected officials, and other critical stakeholders.
- Represent GovEx to external stakeholders including governments, philanthropy, nonprofit organizations, and academic and public sector leaders.
- Maintain effective communication and feedback channels with executives, managers, and partners to keep the program aligned with goals.
- Conduct outreach to government executives and senior staffers in support of GovExs technical assistance and coaching program.
- Identify and recruit new government partners for technical assistance and coaching.
- Collaborate with internal and external evaluators to track and report program participation and demographics.
- Coordinate partner and client engagement in collaborative design and delivery. Provide project updates to internal and external stakeholders and manage stakeholder expectations.
- Work with the Communications team to promote technical assistance through blogs, podcasts, and other written and multimedia materials.
Special Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Superior organizational skills and ability to set priorities and respond quickly as priorities change.
- Strong interpersonal skills with an ability to build good relationships with peers and to interact with diverse stakeholders.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and ability to collect and synthesize information and provide summary reports.
- Excellent content creation skills.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and calendars simultaneously and meet tight deadlines.
- Experience managing diverse teams.
- Knowledge of the field of government data and how it is used improve service delivery.
- Strong skills in program design, development, and delivery.
- Strong grasp of curriculum development, instructional design, and coaching and training adult practitioners.
- Capacity to work independently and in a results-oriented workplace.
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- Five years related experience.
- Additional education may substitute for experience to the extent permitted by the JHU equivalency formula.
- Masters Degree in public policy or related field.
- At least 5 year’s experience in the field of public sector data use.
- Five year’s experience in the field of program management and development.
- Experience in the creation or direction of performance management or data analytics curriculum or courses.
- A record of strong professional achievements in public policy, public administration, or a related field.
- Proven ability to develop, manage, and thrive in relationships with public sector executives and senior staffers.
- Seasoned personnel skills to manage a team of mid-level professionals.
- Ability to work in and lead teams in a result-driven workplace.
- Extensive familiarity with government, nonprofit, and philanthropic stakeholders.