The Bloomberg Center for Government Excellence at Johns Hopkins University (GovEx) is looking for an Events Manager to join the Communications Team.
GovEx supports and coaches leaders and their teams to build a data-driven public sector that fairly and justly uses data, research, and analytics to better understand complex issues, engage residents, and implement policy interventions that lead to equitable outcomes and transform the standard of living for underserved residents.
Working with the Communications Manager, the Events Manager will support the build our program and communications efforts by coordinating dynamic events that bring together public sector innovators from around the world and advance the field of government data work
You will have prior experience designing events across multiple media and formats for publicly oriented organizations and passion about the work of GovEx. GovEx is committed to addressing structural and entrenched racism and recognizes the public sector’s role in perpetuating these legacies. We are looking for a person committed to dismantling structural and entrenched racism and addressing these issues as we build our organization and grow this work in communities.
The Center is committed to working with communities that are focused on ending legacies of structural, entrenched racism and oppression. You must be willing to think about reimagined government, knowledge, and engagement models through the lens of dismantling these legacies.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Help lead the design and execution of dynamic events that bring together leading city leaders, innovators, and academics from around the world, including for the Bloomberg Philanthropies City Data Alliance convenings.
- Design and implement marketing plans for events, working with Communications colleagues to prepare promotional and day-of materials, including invitations, email communication, social media posts, and collateral.
- Conceptualize events from start to finish, including setting goals and target audiences, recruiting, and prepping speakers, collaborating with partner organizations, developing agendas, managing guest lists, and coordinating day-of activities.
- Manage relationships with vendors, hotels, venues, and other external organizations.
- Create event experiences that are inclusive and accessible.
- Represent and promote GovEx at different public sector and academic events.
- Prepare reports, summaries, presentations, and other work products for distribution to the Centers leadership and external partners, including Bloomberg Philanthropies.
- Contribute to and support the GovEx Communications team in its collective work, including writing, editing, and organizational support.
- Ability to work with a range of partners and speakers, including elected officials and academics, to shape and implement a vision for events.
- Ability to develop events that promote programmatic and educational goals, such as skills-building in public sector data use.
- Experience identifying and shaping storytelling opportunities and producing polished written products for public audiences.
- Some understanding of the types of challenges municipal governments typically face.
- High proficiency in WordPress, project management software, and virtual meeting platforms; working knowledge of HTML and CSS; proficiency in social media and other digital marketing tools.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and calendars simultaneously and meet tight deadlines.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and ability to collect and synthesize information and provide summary reports.
- Excellent content creation and writing skills.
- Ability to work both cooperatively within a team and independently.
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- Five years related experience including supervisory and management experience.
- Additional education may substitute for required experience, to the extent permitted by the JHU equivalency formula.
Classified Title: Special Events Manager
Job Posting Title (Working Title): Events Manager
Starting Salary Range: Min $62,300 – Max $120,000 Annually (Commensurate with experience)
Employee group: Full Time
Exempt Status: Exempt
Location: Hybrid/Homewood Campus
Department name: Ctrs for Govt Excellence & Public Innova
Personnel area: Academic and Business Centers
The referenced salary range is based on Johns Hopkins University’s good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level. Johns Hopkins offers a total rewards package that supports our employees’ health, life, career and retirement. More information can be found here: https://hr.jhu.edu/benefits-worklife/
Please refer to the job description above to see which forms of equivalency are permitted for this position. If permitted, equivalencies will follow these guidelines:
JHU Equivalency Formula: 30 undergraduate degree credits (semester hours) or 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience. Additional related experience may substitute for required education on the same basis. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college course work may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job.
**Applicants who do not meet the posted requirements but are completing their final academic semester/quarter will be considered eligible for employment and may be asked to provide additional information confirming their academic completion date.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check. Johns Hopkins is committed to hiring individuals with a justice-involved background, consistent with applicable policies and current practice. A prior criminal history does not automatically preclude candidates from employment at Johns Hopkins University. In accordance with applicable law, the university will review, on an individual basis, the date of a candidate’s conviction, the nature of the conviction and how the conviction relates to an essential job-related qualification or function.
The Johns Hopkins University values diversity, equity and inclusion and advances these through our key strategic framework, the JHU Roadmap on Diversity and Inclusion.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the Talent Acquisition Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711. For more information about workplace accommodations or accessibility at Johns Hopkins University, please visit accessibility.jhu.edu.
Johns Hopkins has mandated COVID-19 and influenza vaccines, as applicable. The COVID-19 vaccine does not apply to positions located in the State of Florida. Exceptions to the COVID and flu vaccine requirements may be provided to individuals for religious beliefs or medical reasons. Requests for an exception must be submitted to the JHU vaccination registry. For additional information, applicants for SOM positions should visit https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine/ and all other JHU applicants should visit https://covidinfo.jhu.edu/health-safety/covid-vaccination-information/.
The following additional provisions may apply, depending on campus. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.