Data Visualization Designer
Johns Hopkins University is looking for a Data Visualization Designer (Sr. Graphic Designer) to join the Analytics Team at the Bloomberg Center for Government Excellence (GovEx). Our team works to unite data with subject matter expertise on social topics that are relevant to cities and their residents. We make both data and its context readily available to be used and consumed by city employees, developers, and the public. We also provide coaching and technical assistance to cities aiming to improve their data practices.
As a Data Visualization Designer, your main responsibilities will include translating complex datasets into visual stories. You will support the team of researchers and analysts to find the relevant data stories that we want to translate, and lead the design of the data visualizations to communicate insights. You will work in support across all the portfolio of data projects carried out by the GovEx Analytics Team, and in collaboration with our d3 specialist, data engineer, data scientist, analysts, researchers, program managers, and other external collaborators and partners.
The Data Visualization Designer must be someone with experience designing data stories and visualizations, intellectually curious, and with commitment to unlocking the value of data for the public good. You will report to one of the Bloomberg Center for Government Excellence Program Managers.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
Data Visualization Design (70%)
- Design data visualizations and data-driven stories
- Design from individual data visualizations to complex web stories and dashboards
- Coach and facilitate conversations among teams of researchers, analysts, and non-technical partners to surface the relevant data stories in their data that they want to communicate
- Support our D3.js specialist through the implementation of the data visualization designs
- Support the team to gather feedback from clients and partners to continually improve the products and tools we create
Other Graphic Design Tasks (20%)
- Create infographics
- Support the development of web UX/UI
- Support the design, layout, and illustration of communication materials for print and digital platforms, including reports and presentations.
Other Tasks (10%)
- Collaborate with developers, analysts, data scientists, researchers, policy experts, and other partners
- Communicate with Civic Impact’s leadership, and others on the team
- Collaborate with external partners, contractors, and vendors
Minimum Qualifications (Mandatory):
- Bachelors’ Degree in Fine Arts, Graphic Design or related field
- Four years experience and a portfolio
* Applicants who do not meet the posted requirements but are completing their final academic semester/quarter will be considered eligible for employment and may be asked to provide additional information confirming their academic completion date.
- At least five years’ experience designing data visualizations
- Experience coaching a team of researchers, analysts, and non-technical partners through the design process to surface data stories
Special Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- High-level of proficiency using design software like Adobe Creative Cloud applications (XD or Illustrator)
- Familiarity with data analysis and statistical methods
- Familiarity with public sector data and policies
Level of Independent Decision Making:
Technical Qualifications or Specialized Certifications:
- High level of proficiency using design software, i.e., Adobe Creative Cloud applications, XD or Illustrator.